Sam McKnight is one of the most accomplished and well-respected hair stylists of his generation. His name is synonymous with modern, sexy hair - whether it's in magazines, on the runway or the red carpet.
He's won countless awards but perhaps the biggest accolade is the longstanding creative collaborations he has maintained with some of the best names in the business - Patrick Demarchelier, Nick Knight and Mario Testino; Karl Lagerfeld/Chanel, Vivenne Westwood, Balmain and Fendi to name just a few.
In the fleeting world of fashin imagery Sam's permanence is fixed in some of the most iconic images in modern history - Princess Diana's short, slicked back style, Agyness Deyn's bleached blonde crop, Madonna's Bedtime Stories cover, Cate Blanchett getting her Oscar, Tilda Swinton channelling Bowie, both Lady Gaga and her male alter-ego Jo Calderone plus countless covers and editorial stories of Kate Moss and all the supermodels.
The longevity of Sam's carrer career - over 30 years - provides a fantastic back-catalogue of references to bring to his work and it is this and his search for the new that keeps him so in demand.
British Vogue September Issue
Sam recently teamed up with photographer Nick Knight for September’s Vogue cover shoot, featuring a debut cover appearance from model Karlie Kloss. Here are the step by step instructions to get the look:
1.To get a fabulous glossy main full of volume and body, start with freshly washed and conditioned hair. It is important not to over-condition your hair (especially at the roots) at this stage, as it will make the hair to heavy so make sure you rinse out your conditioner well.
2. Apply volumising mousse to damp hair and brush through from roots to ends, making sure the mousse is evenly distributed through the lengths of the hair.
3. Blow-dry thoroughly using a large round brush creating as much volume as you can a good tip is to blow-dry your hair upside down this gives you maximum volume and lift at the roots.
4. Once dry take medium sized sections of hair and wrap smoothly around a curling iron. Gently release the hair from the curling iron and hold the hot curdled hair in place with a sectioning clip until the hair is cold.
5. If your hair is naturally curly or wavy you can use medium sized Velcro Rollers threw the whole head or a hot brush.
6. Having set the curls, tip your hair upside down and vigorously brush the curls out, back brushing the roots slightly to give the a light modern voluminous silhouette with width around the shoulders.
7. Finish the look with hair spray.
NB: Wind machine optional
All hair products by Pantene.